Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Movie Trailers: THE SEVENTH SEAL

     During the month of January I will be watching at least fifteen films from the great Swedish director Ingmar Bergman. I have seen seven of his films and have admired all of the them. I own Fanny and Alexander, The Magician and his powerhouse film The Seventh Seal. I actually think I have seen The Seventh Seal at least five times. Bergman's a true master and his films deal heavily with God, life and death, dreams and reality, and are place in the world and our families. His films are unflinching, moody, dark, lovely and pristine works of a true intellect. I got into Bergman once I watched a TCM short documentary where Woody Allen spoke of his admiration for Bergman and named his favorite film from him as the The Seventh Seal. It is a film that deals with one man's search for meaning and purpose in this world. A Knight returning to Sweden from the gruelling battles during the Crusades encounters Death on a beach and challenges him to a game of chess. The movie is like no other and paved the way for European Arthouse Cinema to flourish, not only in Europe, but change filmmakers and viewers heavily in the United States. Enjoy the trailer and if you have not seen the film make sure you do. You will not regret it.


No comments:

Post a Comment