Monday, January 13, 2014

Golden Globe Recap

     Well, the big Hollywood, kiss-ass shindig occurred last night and even though I mock its credibility, for the most part, they got it right. I enjoy covering the awards, but at the same time who really is the best, especially in a year with so many quality films. I was a little worried one of the most important films I have seen, 12 Years a Slave, was going to get shut out, but it won Best Picture Drama. No brainer in my book. I loved Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity and he is a fantastic, important director, but I still would have awarded Best Director to Steve McQueen for 12 Years a Slave. The impact, tenacity and relevancy of that film and the balls to actually make it, and make it so visceral and real would have won over the technical and narrative brilliance of Gravity. Thought David O. Russell would have won for American Hustle, but the winnings were spread around a little bit. But, we know who should have been nominated and won...Martin Scorsese. Enough of that argument for now.
     American Hustle won Best Picture Comedy/Musical, Amy Adams won Best Actress Comedy/Musical and Jennifer Lawrence won Best Supporting Actress. Stars and straight on entertainment won the celebrity obsessed HFPA for the American Hustle camp. I am fine with Adams winning and did like Lawrence in the film, but it is not even a question who should have won Best Supporting Actress. Lupita Nyong'o for 12 Years a Slave was hands down above and better than everyone else. What she did with that role. Stunning. A little surprise, at least where I thought Hustle would also win, was Best Screenplay, but went with Spike Jonze for Her. Happy with that choice.
     Big night for Dallas Buyers Club gentlemen, with Matthew McConaughey winning Best Actor Drama and Jared Leto winning for Best Supporting Actor. No problems with that, especially Leto. One of the best performances all year from any actor. I thought Chiwetel Ejiofor would have won for 12 Years a Slave for Best Actor, but that field is so crowded and full of talent, any of them are deserving. Redford, Ejiofor or McConaughey all deserve it. No surprise with Cate Blanchett winning Best Actress Drama for her riveting performance in Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine. And, Leonardo DiCaprio winning for The Wolf of Wall Street was right on and perfect. Best performance of his young, impressive career and the best one with collaborator Martin Scorsese. He was just balls out crazy and relentless in that film.
     That is about here. I ended up at .500 on my predictions. The Globes have little meaning when it comes to the Academy Awards. I do enjoy covering the awards, but I like looking at the history of them and getting aggravated when certain films win or lose based on politics and box office sales. That is the awards season side of the film business. Oscar nominations coming up this Thursday. I will have my last updated predictions on the blog Wednesday night. There will be surprises and snubs. Which films are going to be left out and get in?

No comments:

Post a Comment